Alberta is a province located in the western part of Canada. It touches the Northwest Territories towards the north, while the east and west borders meet Saskatchewan and British Columbia, respectively.
With over four million people, it is the fourth most populous province. The largest city in Alberta is Calgary, with over a million residents. Other major cities include Edmonton (the province capital), Lethbridge, Grande Prairie, and Red Deer.
Alberta is home to some of the most beautiful landscapes in the country, including the Rocky Mountains, Banff National Park, and several forests and prairies.
The province boasts a large oil and gas industry and is rich in natural resources. Considering the enormous carbon footprint of these industries, more people are interested in reducing their impact on the environment.
Building a sustainable green home is undoubtedly one of the best ways to do this.
As awareness of climate change and its effects grows, many Albertans are looking to sustainable home building to reduce their environmental impact. The way they choose to build their homes reflects their realization of the importance of living sustainably.
Sustainable homes are also becoming more popular because of their energy efficiency, and they cost less to operate and maintain. It is an attractive feature in a province like Alberta, where the winters can be long and cold.
Responding to the surging demand for green homes, home builders have shifted their focus to environmentally friendly building materials and practices.
For your convenience, we’ve whittled down the bunch to a list of the top green builders in the province you can choose from if you intend to build a sustainable home there.
Table of Contents
- The Best Green Home Builders in Alberta
- Effect Homes
- Habitat Studio
- Arbus Mountain Homes
- Trico Homes
- Kanvi Homes
- Landmark Homes
- Final Thoughts – Selecting a Green Builder in Alberta
The Best Green Home Builders in Alberta
Below is our selection of the top green home builders in Alberta, including:
- Effect Homes
- Habitat Studio
- Arbus Mountain Homes
- Trico Homes
- Kanvi Homes
- Landmark Homes
So without further ado, let’s look at the nuts and bolts of what each of these acclaimed companies offers prospective homebuyers.
Effect Homes emerged as a small business run single-handedly in rural Alberta in 2011. Today, it is one of Edmonton’s most popular green builders, with numerous awards and recognitions.
It built the city’s first net-zero energy commercial space when it opened its office. It’s the perfect demonstration of what the team can do for homeowners who wish to be environmentally friendly far into the future.
The company takes pride in building sustainable homes that suit clients’ lifestyles. Every little detail is customizable—the only limit is the homeowners’ imagination.
The team listens to and guides clients and follows a collaborative approach to fulfill their demands and priorities while making the most of the location.
The home styles offered range from traditional or contemporary two or two and a half-stories, garden suites, bungalows, or multi-family construction. Effect Homes utilizes various renewable energy sources to provide eco-friendly and energy-efficient homes.
You can expect everything to be better if you hire it, from building materials and insulation to structure and airtightness. The unique design and clever use of materials ensure optimal functionality and durability.
Why Choose Effect Homes?
- It is one of the top home builders in Alberta, with local, provincial, and national awards.
- The company offers detailed consultations to discuss your options for green design and energy efficiency.
- You get to review the costs and structural components of the project before construction begins.
This award-winning sustainable building company has served the Edmonton people since 1992. It is a nationally-recognized North American authority in net-zero energy construction and design.
The team is committed to sustainability, energy efficiency, and Passive House system training. This builder exceeds minimal requirements in energy-efficient building practices, meaning their standard is higher than the industry warrants.
With valuable insights into the latest sustainability and green building techniques, Habitat Studio ensures your home is a great place to live with an energy-conscious mindset.
Here are some features that make Habitat Studio homes unique:
- Wood timber window wells
- Roof trusses for solar panels
- Sealed and well-insulated rim joists
- Basement frost wall insulation
- Consistent attic ventilation
- Triple glazed windows closed with spray foam
- Airtight electrical outlets and ceiling lighting
- Reversible electrical meter
- High-efficiency direct vent mechanical systems
This builder provides houses tailored to the homeowners’ needs, lifestyles, and budgets. It encourages clients to collaborate actively to make the space uniquely theirs.
Why Choose Habitat Studio?
- It has earned multiple awards for being a green building leader.
- The builders construct and design net-zero homes boasting an EnerGuide rating of zero.
- The company has decades of experience in sustainable building and energy efficiency.
- The final product perfectly aligns with the unique requirements and vision of the homeowners.
Arbus Mountain Homes
Canmore-based Arbus Mountain Homes provides high-quality, sustainable homes that meet cost-effective green standards.
The owners, Dale and Mark, have a successful track record of developing luxury single-family homes. Today, they focus on functional and energy-efficient mountain home designs that last for years.
The team comprises seasoned architects, interior and landscape designers, and trade professionals with years of training and experience committed to providing maximum value in terms of functionality, design, and flow.
You can reach out to them to transform your Canadian Rockies mountain home vision into reality.
Why Choose Arbus Mountain Homes?
- It provides luxury mountain homes in one market segment in Canmore, ensuring the clients get undivided attention.
- The team goes the extra mile to maintain the highest build quality and craftsmanship standards.
- It leverages technology to ensure well-managed timelines and cost-effective builds.
Kubix is known for redefining modern buildings with sustainable living in Calgary.
Its Metal Matrix™ building structure, combined with Systematized Hybrid Construction™, challenges the status quo and brings the architectural vision to life with unparalleled green home building innovation.
The founder and the builders and designers incorporate revolutionary technologies to enhance modern urban spaces with sustainable building designs and technologies.
Serving the Inner City, The Point, and Aventerra, this company creates innovative Metal Matrix™ structures using cold-formed steel to reduce wood consumption by 30%. It has revolutionized the small-scale residential market using pre-insulated steel structures through progressive architectural engineering.
It also builds modular and sustainable container homes that look ultra-stylish yet don’t cost an arm and a leg.
Why Choose Kubix?
- It combines high-tech construction with modern design to reflect urban lifestyles.
- It uses unique and innovative design features for simplicity, sustainability, and energy efficiency.
- It encourages people to consider steel structures and container homes to reduce their carbon footprint and enjoy greater functionality, durability, and flexibility.
- It offers high-quality, well-designed houses at an affordable price.
Trico Homes is the only B Corp-certified home builder in western Canada. It provides sustainable living spaces in Okotoks, Calgary, Chestermere, and Airdrie.
The company promises to balance purpose and profit, using the business to do good. Having served Albertans for 30+ years, Trico Homes takes pride in providing single-family homes, townhouses, condominiums, and duplexes that meet clients’ needs and exceed their expectations.
This builder has constructed more than 11,000 sustainable single and multi-family homes as the innovation champions and corporate leaders for green design, construction, and customer support.
Why Choose Trico Homes?
- It puts the community first and is committed to building safe, sustainable homes that add value to clients’ lives.
- It has received recognition from the industry, customers, and peers for delivering trusted green home building services.
- It has several programs, including the Repeat Buyer Program, Referral Program, and Flexdown Payment Plan to make green homes affordable for everyone.
- The Trico Red Card Rewards Program offers ongoing savings and discounts from home stores, local retailers, contractors, and other services.
Kanvi Homes invites homeowners to build sustainably and save money and energy in the long run. It customizes every little detail of the interior and exterior to the client’s needs and lifestyle.
The company works on the modern bungalow and two-story home projects in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, Lancaster Park, and St. Albert.
The dedicated in-house team collaborates to create the most sustainable and durable houses. As a result, they proudly carry multiple awards for being one of the top green home builders in Alberta, Canada.
Whether you like an open kitchen layout or want to build a private library in your home, Kanvi experts have the proper knowledge, tools, and resources to make your dream come true.
Why Choose Kanvi Homes?
- It has been building custom-tailored green homes since 2006.
- The team incorporates design details that match the client’s lifestyle.
- It offers 360° virtual tours of the space.
- It gives access to an online portal to receive status updates during the build process for maximum transparency.
- The Kanvi Quiz offers personalized recommendations for your new home.
This building company prioritizes sustainability and functionality and has remained a leading service provider over the last four decades.
Landmark Homes provides safe and healthy homes with medical-grade indoor air quality. The company uses premium engineering and building processes combined with state-of-the-art robotics and technology.
Each Landmark home boasts energy-efficient and green design features to lower energy costs and enhance your lifestyle. Clients get to choose each aspect of their home’s interior design, from flooring, cabinetry, and countertop to plumbing, lighting, and backsplash.
House styles include townhomes, bungalows, single-family attached/detached garages, condos, and luxury bungalows.
Here are a few characteristics that set Landmark Homes apart from others:
- Off-site construction using automatic robotic machinery
- The use of Engineered Lumber as a standard
- Precision-built (cutting and nailing each component to 1mm precision)
- Moisture-free building with reduced exposure to rain or snow by 80%
- Hi-Velocity Heating System for consistent home temperature
- Tankless Hot Water
- Interior finishes with low VOCs for minimum emissions
Why Choose Landmark Homes?
- It has decades of experience building healthy, sustainable, airtight homes with precision.
- It invites clients for a one-on-one appointment at Ingeva Design Studio to discuss interior finishing for their new homes.
- It tailors all details of the house to the client’s unique requirements.
- It offers a comprehensive warranty package for up to ten years.
- Professional customer service representatives are at your service to answer your questions.
Final Thoughts – Selecting a Green Builder in Alberta
There is no question that sustainable homes are the future. More and more people are looking to reduce their environmental impact, which the housing market reflects.
If you are building a new home, it is crucial to work with a company that can help you create a sustainable home that meets your needs. Many builders claim to be “green,” but not all follow through with their promises.
The best builders adhere to strict environmental standards, using sustainable materials and energy-efficient construction methods. They also understand the importance of indoor air quality and strive to create healthy and comfortable homes for their occupants.
The top green home builders in Alberta reviewed here are some of the most experienced and qualified in the country. They know how to create environmentally friendly homes that conserve resources.
The latest technologies and construction methods will ensure that your new home will be as energy-efficient as possible. In other words, you can save money on your energy bills in the long run.
Browse through their websites or schedule an initial consultation with them to learn more about their services and how they can help you build your dream green home!
Also, be sure to check out our list of the best green builders in British Columbia, as well as our list of the best modular builders in Alberta, as several of the companies featured construct homes that are also considered sustainable, and may service your area of Alberta.
Best of luck!