Located along the Canadian border, North Dakota is the 19th largest state. But with a population of 774,008, it is the fourth most sparsely populated.
While North Dakota experiences extreme weather conditions during the summer and winter seasons, the number of outdoor activities available to tourists and citizens keeps you busy throughout the year. In addition, the state’s charming scenery, diverse wildlife, and impressive culinary scene draw visitors from all over the globe.
But these aren’t the only reasons that make North Dakota such an exciting place to be.
The state is known to provide some of the most affordable housing options in the country. In fact, the cost of living is rated 89.9 out of one hundred, making it a cheaper place to live than most other states.
You will find houses catering to family structures in North Dakota, including sustainable green homes. But finding a sustainable green home built to perfection is no easy task, especially if you want one made to your personal specifications.
The best green home builders in North Dakota can assist with this. They are fully aware of all the rules, regulations, and specifications to build sustainable homes in the state that are environmentally friendly, durable, and reliable.
In this post, we have listed six builders in North Dakota who focus heavily on sustainable and environmentally friendly construction practices to bring you the home of your dreams.
So whether you wish to invest in an eco-friendly home or raise a family in North Dakota, these companies can make your dreams a reality.
Let’s get started.
The Best Green Home Builders in North Dakota
Our research led us to six North Dakota green builders that stand out far above the rest, including:
- Kochmann Brothers Homes, Inc.
- GH Builders USA
- Scull Construction
- Paramount Builders
- Centennial Homes
- Heritage Homes
So, without further ado, let’s take an in-depth look at what each of these renowned companies has to offer prospective home buyers.
Kochmann Brothers Homes, Inc.
For over 35 years, Kochmann Brothers Homes, Inc. has helped numerous North Dakota homeowners realize their dream of luxury green homes.
The company’s president, Bob Kochmann, is a ‘Certified Green Professional’ who has won the “Fargo-Moorhead Builder of the Year” award twice and the award for the “North Dakota State Builder of the Year.”
In addition, V.P. Paul Kochmann has won the “Fargo-Moorhead Builder of the Year” award and is a former president of the North Dakota Association of Builders and the Home Builders Association of Fargo Moorhead (HBA of F-M).
Under their leadership, Kochmann Brothers has accumulated several awards from HBA of F-M and been featured in publications like Inspired Home Magazine, Area Women Magazine, and Design & Living.
Why Choose Kochmann Brothers Homes, Inc.?
- Holds more than 35 years of experience in remodeling, new build construction, and lake homes
- Received the NAHB Beam Award in 2020
- All homes are fully customizable, from removing stairs to adding windows—the ultimate aim is to build a custom green house that best fits your lifestyle and budget.
Founded in 1985, Scull Construction is a regional company specializing in residential, commercial, health care, and educational construction in North and South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, and Wyoming.
The company strives to deliver quality on every project with the help of detailed planning, multiple layers of inspections, continuous communication, and an efficient work ethic. It emphasizes four principles—sustainability, quality, community, and communication.
Scull Construction helps clients save on energy and water bills and reduce greenhouse emissions, mold, and indoor toxins. In addition, it has a certified team from the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) to cater to and develop sustainable projects responsibly.
Why Choose Scull Construction?
- Holds more than 35 years of construction experience
- Extensive knowledge and experience in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) practices
- Specialized in residential, commercial, health care, and educational construction in several northern midwest states
GH Builders USA
GH Builders is not only one of the best green home builders in North Dakota but also reputed nationwide. This company is for you if you’re searching for an energy-efficient, smart, environmentally friendly home to fit your lifestyle, coupled with a floor plan designed especially for your ever-changing needs.
GH Builders manufacture green homes under ISO 50,001 to ensure your new house is environmentally friendly and comfortable throughout the year. As a sustainable builder, the company knows that every home they build helps the environment.
In addition, it can build any form of environmentally friendly home for you, from net-zero to a passive solar house.
Why Choose GH Builders USA?
- Offers life cycle assessment and ensures environmental quality enhancement, waste reduction, operations optimization, and energy, material and water efficiency for its eco-friendly homes.
- One of the only ISO 50001-compliant home builders
- Use of
- low-cost, high-quality renewable materials to design and build homes with unmatched quality and attention to detail
- Highly-qualified professionals who can help you choose fashionable sustainable designs with energy-efficient solutions to lower utility bills and carbon footprint
Since its inception, Paramount Builders has been fueled by its goal to offer optimal results by working closely with clients. The company is not just passionate about home building—it considers clients as family.
Due to this, the team is dedicated to providing clients with more sustainable and healthier building solutions.
Serving residents throughout Menoken, Bismarck, and Lincoln, Paramount Builders is a proud member of the NAHB, Williston Area Builders Association, and Bismarck-Mandan HBA.
Why Choose Paramount Builders?
- Provides innovative and pre-designed floor plans (including Drifton, Valley View, Lake Point, and Maple) to easily personalize your home and get the layout of your preference
- Specialized in residential and commercial construction in Fargo, Bismarck, Watford City, and Williston
- Will design and build a home customized to your lifestyle, needs, and goals
- A proud member of the NAHB, Williston Area Builders Association, and Bismarck-Mandan HBA
Centennial Homes has been facilitating homeowners all over the Great Plains to fulfill their dream of owning affordable and environmentally friendly houses for years.
With locations in Dickinson, Bismarck, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Billings, Aberdeen, and Williston – this green builder serves clients in North and South Dakota and Montana.
Presently, the company has 30+ new and used display homes across multiple locations and has a myriad of custom-built floor plans available to meet the unique needs of different homeowners.
The experienced staff at Centennial Homes goes out of its way to help clients pick the perfect design customizations and provide warranty and aftercare service even long after the client has paid.
Why Choose Centennial Homes?
- With seven retail center locations, endless customization options, and a massive range of models, Centennial Homes can help you find the perfect factory-built home at an affordable price
- Offers a wide array of homes, including green modular, single-section, and multi-section manufactured homes
- It offers the option to build from scratch or to select from the company’s innovative floor plans.
- Displays 30+ new and used houses across multiple locations and has various custom-built floor plans available
Heritage Homes has been building sustainable homes since 1995 in North Dakota. It understands its role as a builder and therefore was named the “Best Home Builder in the Red River Valley.”
Moreover, Heritage Homes doesn’t base success on the bottom line. Instead, it measures success on the experience it provides homeowners. The team facilitates clients throughout the home-building journey and provides them with the most livable home that fits their budget.
Why Choose Heritage Homes?
- Builds sustainable green homes at an affordable price
- Heritage Homes HomeCare program takes care of clients beyond the closing day
- Uses premium materials and collaborates with trusted trade partners to build sustainable green homes
- Offers the latest energy-efficient insulation, cooling, and heating systems
Conclusion – Selecting the Most Suitable Green Builder in North Dakota
Choosing to build an eco-friendly and sustainable home is equivalent to creating a safe and comfortable space for you and your family.
So, when it comes to building a home in this midwest state (or any other), we strongly suggest you first speak to past clients, scrutinize each builder’s license with the local licensing board, and use an online bidding system to get competitive quotes for the best price.
However, with that said, if you’re searching for a new home or wish to invest in an eco-friendly construction project to promote environmental well-being, don’t think twice about picking any company mentioned here.
These builders will help you build a safe and unique space, providing unmatched comfort, satisfaction, and joy.
Additionally, by promoting green practices, you can play your part in lowering the use of pollutants that harm our environment. Remember, eco-friendly structures can collectively bring us one step closer to a greener and healthier planet—a place where our future generations will be safe and happy.
We hope our list of the best green home builders in North Dakota makes it easier for you to pick a company, and we wish you all the luck in this pursuit of constructing your dream home!
Also, be sure to check out our list of green home builders in neighboring states like South Dakota, Minnesota, and Montana, as well as our top choices among modular builders in North Dakota, as several of the companies featured may be able to deliver a green home to your area of the state.