Located in the northern Midwest, South Dakota is a sparsely-populated state, ranking 46th with a population of 905,404 per square mile.
Famous for being one of the most millennial-friendly states, South Dakota is a place where you can enjoy all four seasons and more sunny days than the national average.
The Mount Rushmore State’s low cost of living, booming employment opportunities, low property crime rates, and low housing costs make it an ideal place for people of all walks of life. Furthermore, it is a hot spot for startups and business owners, mainly due to its tax-friendly policies.
The state is also known to provide some of the best housing options in the country. You’ll find houses catering to all forms and types of family structures. One home type that has witnessed a significant rise in demand in recent years is sustainable green homes.
But finding a sustainable green home built to perfection is no easy task, especially if you want a house that’s built as per your personal needs and requirements. This is where the best green home builders in South Dakota can help.
The top sustainable builders in South Dakota are thoroughly aware of all the state rules, regulations, and specifications to build green homes that are environmentally friendly, durable, and reliable.
In this post, we have listed six home builders in South Dakota who focus heavily on sustainable and environmentally friendly building practices to bring you the home of your dreams.
Let’s get started.
The Best Green Home Builders in South Dakota
Through our research, we have selected these six green home builders who can best make your dreams a reality, including:
- Brookings Built Green
- River Bluff Homes
- Deltec Homes
- Centennial Homes
- Riverbend Builders
- Scull Construction
So, without further ado, let’s look at the specifics of what each of these esteemed builders has to offer prospective homeowners.
Specializing in green building and custom homes, Brookings Built Green has made a name for itself in the South Dakota region.
Founded in 2011 by Dusten Hendrickson, this company has built a base of loyal clients through a firm adherence to the principles of building homes that complement the particular lifestyle of homeowners.
Brookings Built Green has been featured in publications like 605 Magazine for its achievements. The company creates sustainable, energy-efficient homes while keeping contemporary design elements into consideration.
The layout and styling of most Brookings Built Green houses are paired with highly personalized home systems and a set of storage spaces to optimize the building for its occupants.
Why Choose Brookings Built Green?
- Voted one of the best green home builders in South Dakota by Home Digest
- Builds affordable homes and is happy to offer financial solutions for certain construction projects
- Holds valuable affiliations with essential industry players like the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and adheres to green building regulations outlined by establishments like Energy Star
- Commitment to delivering the highest quality of craftsmanship, with personalized project management tailored to the unique needs of every client
River Bluff Homes
Founded by Susan and Jerry Vogeler, this company has helped countless families accomplish their dreams of owning a sustainable green home. Houses built by River Bluff Homes not only meet environmentally friendly standards but also remain standing for years.
Additionally, all River Bluff homes lie on the affordable side of the scale, primarily due to their energy efficiency. Each house comes equipped with AC, furnace, insulation, water heater, gutters, and deck.
So, you can move into your new house as soon as it’s built. The company also offers financing options to clients to help them build their dream home in a way that makes the most sense to them.
Why Choose River Bluff Homes?
- The go-to place in South Dakota for eco-friendly, high quality, and highly customized green homes.
- Retail partner with Dynamic Homes, Champion Homes of York, BonnaVilla Homes, Heritage Homes, and Family Built Homes
- Gives virtual home tours using cutting-edge 3D technology
- Offers several innovative floorplans so that you can easily personalize your home and get the layout of your preference
Founded in 1968 and revamped in 1995, more than 85 percent of the homes Deltec Homes builds are known for being environmentally friendly and highly resilient.
The company offers an array of ready-made floor plans to families if they are unsure of how their new home should look. Professionals vet all Deltec Homes designs to make sure clients have no regrets, regardless of their model.
Additionally, the company’s commitment to excellence saw it receives a “B Corporation Certification” in 2016. So, be rest assured and know you’ll get a bang for your buck when you work with Deltec Homes.
Why Choose Deltec Homes?
- Deltec Homes are, on average, three to five times more air-insulated than standard homes, owing to super-insulated walls and truss options
- Awarded “Zero Energy Ready Home” designation in 2019 and 2021 by the US Department of Energy
- All Deltec green homes use passive solar heating and cooling principles to reduce reliance on harmful comfort systems
- Deltec houses are not simply green by design; they’re constructed based on sustainable building practices and verified by third-party experts, including LEED, Energy Star, EPD Indoor, etc.
- Provides rebates to clients who utilize third-party certifications on their projects
Centennial Homes has been facilitating homeowners all over the Great Plains to fulfill their dream of owning affordable and environmentally friendly homes for years.
With locations in Dickinson, Bismarck, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Billings, Aberdeen, and Williston, this home builder serves clients in the Dakotas and even Montana.
Presently, the company has more than thirty new and used display homes across multiple locations and has a myriad of custom-built floorplans available to meet the unique needs of different homeowners.
The experienced staff at Centennial Homes goes out of their way to help clients pick the perfect design customizations, along with warranty and aftercare service, even long after the client has paid.
Why Choose Centennial Homes?
- With seven retail center locations, endless customization options, and a massive range of models on display, Centennial Homes can help you find the perfect factory-built home at an affordable price
- Offers a wide array of homes, including green modular, single-section, and multi-section
- Serves homeowners in several Montana and Dakota areas, including Dickinson, Bismarck, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Billings, Aberdeen, and Williston
- Offers the option to build from scratch or to select from the company’s innovative floor plans
- Displays 30+ new and used houses across multiple locations and has various custom-built floorplans available for order
Riverbend Builders was established in 2001 as one of the Bozeman region’s first sustainable housing companies. Matt, the founder, wanted to adopt a scientific approach to construction.
Currently, the company is among the top builders in Gallatin Valley, striving every day to create a sustainable and healthier neighborhood. The owner believes that designing is the foremost essential part of building a home.
The location and orientation of the structure help enhance homes’ sustainability. Having a single house offer multiple functionalities is critical and innovative, and even the choice of materials has a vital role, such as longevity and maintenance requirements.
Riverbend Builders can help you conserve resources by building a durable, green, and sustainable house.
Why Choose Riverbend Builders?
- Floorplans are designed based on each client’s lifestyle to ensure maximum comfort and safety
- Focuses on three core elements of sustainable home building: energy-efficient systems, smart design, and use of recycled materials
- Uses passive solar energy and durable constructions material for longevity and near-zero maintenance
- Riverbend Builders’ sustainable green building procedures entail site design and lot development, energy efficiency, building durability, and resource/water conservation.
- Uses low-cost, high-quality renewable materials to design and build homes with unmatched quality and attention to detail
Founded in 1985, Scull Construction is a regional construction company specializing in residential, commercial, health care, and educational construction in South and North Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, and Wyoming.
The company strives to deliver quality on every project, including detailed planning, multiple layers of inspections, continuous communication, and efficient work ethics while keeping the following elements in view: Sustainability, Quality, Community, and Communication.
Scull Construction helps clients save on energy and water bills and reduce greenhouse emissions, mold, and indoor toxins. It has a team certified by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) to cater to and develop sustainable projects responsibly.
Why Choose Scull Construction?
- Extensive knowledge and experience in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) practices
- Specialized in residential construction, commercial construction, health care construction, and educational construction in South and North Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, and Wyoming
- Holds more than 35 years of construction experience
Conclusion – Selecting the Ideal Green Builder in South Dakota
Choosing to build an eco-friendly and sustainable home is equivalent to creating a safe and comfortable space for you and your family.
So, when it comes to building a green home in South Dakota – or any state – we strongly suggest you first speak to past clients, scrutinize each homebuilder’s license with the local licensing board, and use an online bidding system to get competitive quotes.
But, with that said, if you’re searching for a new home or wish to invest in an eco-friendly construction project to promote environmental well-being, don’t think twice about picking any green company mentioned in this list.
These sustainable builders will help you build a safe and unique space that provides unmatched comfort, satisfaction, and joy. Additionally, by promoting green practices, you can play your part in lowering the use of dangerous pollutants that harm our environment.
Remember, eco-friendly structures can collectively bring us one step closer to a greener and healthier planet—a place where our future generations will be safe and happy.
We hope our list of best green home builders in South Dakota makes it easier for you to pick a company, and we wish you all the luck in this pursuit of building the house of your dreams!
Also, be sure to check out our list of green home builders in neighboring states like North Dakota, Montana and Wyoming, as well as our top choices of modular builders in South Dakota, as several of the companies featured may be able to deliver a green home to your area of the state.