Ah, Tennessee. Low property taxes and no state income tax are just two reasons the state is one of the best places to raise a family, grow a business, or retire in peace.
Another reason living in the state can be so affordable is the wide range of green home builders in Tennessee with extensive experience in eco-friendly construction whose efforts minimize recurring costs for homeowners.
Why go green? Simple. Climate change is a threat to our existence, period. By making sure your home benefits rather than takes from the environment, you can do your part to ensure future generations have a healthy planet to live in.
Plus, many of the homebuilders we will discuss in our list offer custom plans so you can finally get your dream home.
So if you want to reduce your carbon footprint, reduce your energy bills, and get a house that stands out, check out our list of the top eco-friendly home builders in Tennessee:
The Best Sustainable Green Home Builders in Tennessee
Here are our top picks for sustainable green home builders in Tennessee that stand apart from the rest, including:
- GreenTech Homes
- Mossy Ridge Construction LLC
- Natural Element Homes
- Honest Abe Log Homes
- Incredible Tiny Homes
- Richardson Construction LLC
- NextGen Homes
So without further delay, let’s break down what each of these renowned builders has to offer home buyers.
GreenTech Homes takes its name seriously. The green home builder incorporates energy-efficient materials and solutions at each project stage.
GreenTech ensures that each house not only looks but feels like a home that pays homage to the environment and improves the owner’s quality of life. In addition, each structure is built to last for decades, thus promising years of happy memories and sustainable shelter to residents.
The company has built award-winning communities spread across the greater Chattanooga area, including Soddy Daisy, East Brainerd, and Harrison to name a few.
Why We Like GreenTech Homes
- Green construction methods – low flow fixtures, CARB-approved materials, sealed crawl spaces, insulated garage doors, and solar-rated attic decking
- Robust construction materials – exteriors from James Hardie, sheathing from Zip System, and fixtures from Delta & Kohler
- No cookie-cutter solutions and custom finishes for each house
Mossy Ridge Construction LLC
Since 2003, Mossy Ridge Construction has changed the way homes are built and their impact on the environment.
The full-service residential construction company is based in Nashville and is known for applying green practices and expert skills to each project it works on.
We aren’t just saying that—the company has two awards to its name, which proves its dedication to excellence.
Its builders are trained to examine every aspect of how each green home is to be constructed and are not averse to using the latest technologies to ensure clients are satisfied with the results.
Why We Like Mossy Ridge Construction
- Mossy Ridge uses smart designs to manage the environmental impact of each home.
- Use of specific techniques to reduce air loss to increase overall HVAC efficiencies.
- Each product used is chosen for its ability to reduce indoor pollutants, including air-purifiers and large ventilators.
- Resources are used wisely and in a way that maximizes their efficiency.
Natural Element Homes
If you want to be at one with nature and pay tribute to its bounties, a log home by Natural Element Homes should be on your bucket list.
The company uses eco-friendly techniques to source natural materials for its log and timber frame homes to hybrid houses. Wood has the same heat and insulating qualities as traditional building materials like stone.
The company has designed and built thousands of log homes over the years and has an extensive floor plan collection to show for it.
Natural Element allows clients to view all 300 floorplans on the website. Clients can also present their ideas about their custom home, which will be incorporated into the final plan.
Why We Like Natural Element Homes
- Wood and timber are sourced sustainably
- Access to an extensive library of the log, timber frame, and hybrid homes takes the guesswork out of aesthetics
- Clients can collaborate on every step of the construction process and immediately view the changes they need via a 3D rendering of their project
- Virtual tours of redesigned houses to see how it looks and feels
Honest Abe Log Homes
Honest Abe Log Homes is an eco-friendly home builder. The company takes good care of its natural resources to build homes across Tennessee.
With a long-lasting commitment to sustainability, the company uses only green building practices and renewable wood species while reducing wastage throughout each project.
Honest Abe maintains that promise by forging solid relationships in the log home industry and the business community in general.
In addition, it offers several sustainable home plans for custom, small, medium, large, and extra-large log homes that stand the test of time and the elements.
Why We Like Honest Abe Log Homes
- Leadership position with the National Association of Homebuilder’s Log and Timber Council
- Certified graders inspect all materials at Timber Products Inspection Inc.
- A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau
- Supports business development in the region for sustainable communities
Incredible Tiny Homes
If you want to reduce your environmental impact, reduce the square footage you need to live in. This is where green homes from Incredible Tiny Homes can prove invaluable.
Since 2014, the company has been providing a steady standard of top quality and sustainable craftsmanship to residents of Morristown and the surrounding area.
Each tiny home is built in a state-of-the-art warehouse, so the construction process is never delayed, even if the weather takes a turn for the worst. The spacious facility is used to build several tiny homes simultaneously, and each can also be customized as per client’s specs.
Why We Like Incredible Tiny Homes
- Get an 8′ x 16′ INCRED-I-BOX for as low as $20,000!
- Highly-customizable homes
- Multiple financing options for each home
- Information on lots in ITH Communities for your new tiny home is available
- Complete ITH tours and a tour of the surrounding areas as well
Richardson Construction LLC
Based in East Tennessee, Richardson Construction is a family-owned and operated green builder that is an integral part of the community.
Whether you need a new home built, need some remodeling done on an existing one, or want to save energy on your HVAC costs with green building solutions, it will surely not disappoint.
Richardson’s goal is to ensure each house it builds quickly becomes a home for clients that they cannot wait to return to every day.
Each house is built in record time whether you have custom requirements or not. The team at Richardson Construction takes each idea into account during the construction process, so clients receive precisely what they ask for.
Why We Like Richardson Construction LLC
- Certified Green Professional designation – This designation is given to those remodelers and home builders who incorporate eco-friendly building practices into their homes without increasing construction costs
- Clients are directed towards reliable and cost-efficient vendors and suppliers
- Experience remodeling and building custom and light commercial homes
- Voted 2017 Builder of the Year
NextGen Homes represents a green home construction generation in Chattanooga and the southeast. Each of the homes it constructs is built to eco-friendly standards and generates as much energy as it uses.
In addition, the team uses water and construction materials resourcefully to ensure zero waste and promote the occupants’ health within.
Since 2007, the company has been advancing sustainable living, working, and building practices through a series of training classes, courses, and incentive campaigns.
NextGen’s ultimate mission is to move towards regional sustainability by making advancements in how they work, live, and build in Chattanooga and surrounding areas.
Why We Like NextGen Homes
- A Build it Green Workforce Development program has a 90% graduation and 80% placement rate
- It aided over 3000+ people with low-cost and zero-cost ways to reduce utilities
- Raised over $2.2 million for 350 Home Energy Upgrades for low-income residents
- Each NextGen Home meets stringent energy standards
- Use Sun Cloud wood windows and doors to provide efficient insulation and protect the interior from weather damage
- Net-zero renovations complete with 4.6 KW solar arrays that harness the sun’s power to power a home
- Efficient water and waste management
- Raw materials for each project are sourced from the region
If you are in the market for a new home or want to invest in an eco-friendly construction project to promote environmental welfare, choose any green home builders mentioned in this list.
By building green and promoting similar practices, you can do your part to reduce the usage of pollutants such as coal. Each new eco-friendly structure built brings us one step closer to a healthier Earth that future generations will thank us for.
Also, be sure to check out our lists of the best green builders in neighboring states like Missouri, North Carolina and South Carolina, and top modular builders in Tennessee, as many of the companies featured offer homes that can be classified as green and sustainable, and may service your area of Tennessee.