Northwest Territories is a federal territory of Canada, bordered by the territories of Yukon and Nunavut to the west and Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan to the south. With a population of 41,790, it is the second-largest and the most populous of the three Northern Canada territories.
Residents throughout the North are friendly and welcoming and enjoy a culturally-rich, relaxed lifestyle with the most stunning natural scenery. Northwest Territories even has the highest median household income in Canada, making it an excellent place to start a family.
Whether you want to relocate within the province or move there, we suggest you consider some of the most reputed sustainable green home builders in the Northwest Territories.
The best sustainable builders in Northwest Territories can create a home that’s not only made according to your personal preferences but will also ensure that the house is durable enough to withstand the extreme temperatures of the North.
After much research, we’ve compiled a list of the standout sustainable home builders in the province that are well-equipped to bring your dream green home to fruition.
The Best Sustainable Home Builders in Northwest Territories
The best green home builders in Northwest Territories, focusing heavily on sustainable and environmentally friendly construction practices to bring you the home of your dreams, include:
- Precision Craft Log & Timber Homes
- Blackstone Homes
- Arctic Canada Construction Ltd.
- Clark Builders
- Tłı̨chǫ Community Builders
Now that you’ve seen the shortlist, let’s get into the details of what each of these acclaimed builders can offer prospective sustainable homebuyers.
Precision Craft Log & Timber Homes
Established in 1990, Precision Craft Log & Timber Homes is one of North America’s premier custom luxury timber and log home builders.
Building a mountain-style house in one of Canada’s three rustic territories (Northwest Territories, Yukon, and Nunavut) is an excellent fit because of the home’s authentic efficiency.
While other manufacturers may offer log kits, this firm provides a Total Home Solution that begins with your home’s custom design and ends when you step into a beautifully built mountain home. Instead of just focusing on the log materials, the company treats your custom home project as a whole, providing needed services to complete your dream house.
Moreover, Precision Craft builds every house using the highest quality wood and energy-efficient ICFs and SIPs. The firm also allows clients to tailor floor plans according to their needs.
As a member of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), the company has access to the information and tools necessary to provide clients with the best quality homes.
Why Choose Precision Craft Log & Timber Homes
- Homes built by Precision Craft are energy-efficient and use LEAN building procedures to reduce waste and energy consumption
- It offers several innovative lifestyle floor plans so that you can easily personalize your home and get the layout of your preference
- Specialized in sustainable and quality-built homes in the Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut regions since 1990
- Detailed knowledge of energy-efficient building techniques for mountain-style homes
With years of experience in construction and manufactured homes under its belt, Blackstone Homes is capable of supplying, delivering, and setting up homes in Northwest Territories despite the limitations and challenges experienced by the northern communities.
The company delivers affordable housing throughout the Northwest Territories via different access routes, including roads, ferries, or barges.
The structure of every Blackstone-built home is designed to withstand snow loads and is rated to fulfill EGH-80 energy efficiency standards.
In addition, the company also sells homes built by Triple M Housing.
Why Choose Blackstone Homes
- Provides a comprehensive 20-year Triple M Housing structural warranty
- Offers free estimates and quotes to all clients
- High-quality and affordable housing options are available for all Northern communities
- Offers several innovative lifestyle floor plans – including Masterpiece Series Homestead, Maplewood, and Meridian – so that you can easily choose a layout of your preference.
- In addition to selling manufactured and modular homes, the company provides several services to get clients into their new homes, including site preparation, home delivery, and setup.
Arctic Canada Construction Ltd.
Founded in 1995, there isn’t a single community in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut where Arctic Canada Construction Ltd. hasn’t had shovels in the ground and shared its expertise on cold climate envelope designs coupled with top-of-the-line construction management.
Whether you need general contracting services for your home or more specialized services in designing and constructing commercial or industrial buildings in Canada’s northern communities, Arctic Canada Construction Ltd. (ARCAN) is likely the best option.
Why Choose Arctic Canada Construction Ltd.
- 25+ years of experience working in the arctic, remote locations, and severe climates
- The only company in Northwest Territories following the National COR Standards
- In-house architects take responsibility for designing and constructing energy-efficient homes from concept to completion, including approvals, project documentation, quality control and safety, and construction services
- Arctic Canada Construction Ltd. has experienced professionals and skilled trades personnel providing a vast range of design and building services.
Founded by Andy Clark in 1974, Clark Builders has undertaken hundreds of projects, establishing it as a leader in the Northwest Territories construction industry.
Based in Yellowknife, despite being the Northern builder of choice, the company doesn’t take relationships for granted with satisfied, repeat clients. So for the last 45+ years, Clark Builders has adopted a family-based approach to business and a team-based approach to construction services.
Why Choose Clark Builders
- Has completed 455+ projects in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
- No matter the size, Clark Builders bring expert craftsmanship, proven expertise, and timeliness to all their projects
- Constructed facilities in almost every community in all three northern Canadian territories
Tłı̨chǫ Community Builders
Established in 2020 by the Tłı̨chǫ Investment Corporation, Tłı̨chǫ Community Builders (TCB) provides commercial and residential construction services throughout the Northwest Territories and the Tłı̨chǫ region.
The company takes great pride in its focused, professional, and results-oriented commercial and residential construction services. From a solid management team to on-site construction crews and superintendents, TCG shares a strong commitment to quality work, client service, energy efficiency, and safe work practices.
Why Choose Tłı̨chǫ Community Builders
- Tłı̨chǫ is a well-established, COR-certified Northern company with a solid reputation for providing high-quality and energy-efficient residential construction services
- An expert at delivering projects in remote locations with unique logistical challenge
Choosing the Best Green Home Builders for Your Dream Home
Keep in mind that by choosing a sustainble home, you will reduce unnecessary waste of energy resources and eliminate the use of environmental pollutants like coal.
With every green structure built, you will fulfill your duty to reduce carbon emissions and limit the pressure on local resources for energy and water.
So, if you wish to promote environmental well-being, don’t think twice about picking any green company mentioned in this list. These firms can help you build a safe and unique space for yourself and your family while ensuring a happy, healthy environment.
Also, be sure to check out or list of the best sustainable green builders in Nunavut, as several of the companies profiled may deliver to your area of the North of Canada.
Best of luck!