With the upcoming hot summer months and the inevitable spike in energy prices, homeowners are looking for alternative ways to save on energy costs. One way to do this is by installing radiant barrier paint on walls, roofs, and attic surfaces.
This method of keeping the house cool and ensuring even temperatures is quite effective. You may have heard of your friends raving about how it has worked well for them or seen your neighbor’s roof being sprayed with radiant barrier paint.
If you are curious about the intricacies of radiant barrier paint and where you can purchase it, this article has the answers to all your questions.
To learn more, read ahead. Then, once you are done reading, you will be certain about your next step!
What is Radiant Barrier Paint?
Radiant barrier paint is often referred to as liquid foil. Most of them are made by grinding aluminum into a very fine powder, then mixed in with clear paint. When applied to any surface, the clear paint eventually dries up, leaving a layer of aluminum from the powder added to the mix.
The primary purpose of radiant barrier paint is to reduce the amount of radiant heat absorbed into the attic, which helps keep the home cool and well-insulated during the hot summer months—a drop in temperature at night is a given here.
Radiant barrier paint can also be applied to garage doors and roofs. This paint will not damage or wear down your roof shingles either.
Most homeowners even have the barrier paint applied onto the sidewalls. This application has helped them prevent condensation and moisture buildup inside their walls.
Moreover, barrier paint is an investment in itself as it lasts an average of 10 years!
If you are looking for a cost-efficient method to reduce your utility bills and keep your home at the desired temperatures during summer, then installing or spraying on the radiant barrier paint can help.
Benefits Of Using Radiant Barrier Paint
Radiant barrier paint has become quite popular in recent years, especially since individuals have become more conscious of their carbon footprint. Investing in sustainable products and services has become a defining feature that consumers look at, and rightfully so.
This paint is a viable option for conserving energy for sure. But it also offers several other benefits. Here are a few:
- Prevents moisture buildup—you can expect mold outbreaks to be a rare phenomenon in your home after having the radiant barrier paint applied to your attic or sidewalls
- This paint is free of toxic fumes and carcinogenic elements
- It has radon retarder properties that reduce the amount of radon that is absorbed into the floor
- Investing in radiant barrier paint insulation can keep your home cool in the summer, reducing your need for energy and HVAC. It’s a win-win situation for all!
- These paints are environmentally safe and waterproof. There is no need to worry about the paint chipping off after heavy rainfall
- Radiant barrier paints work best in warmer climates. But, you can even have it installed in a cooler climate with added insulation measures
- It is applied as a thin layer, making it less bulky than traditional insulation
Where To Buy Radiant Barrier Paint
You can purchase radiant barrier paint from a reliable and trusted commercial contractor. Unfortunately, paints of low quality are often mistaken by consumers for being premium quality, and they are also sold at higher prices.
Thus, it is best to get in touch with a reliable contractor who can guide you on the different brands of paints and their properties. They will also further advise you on applying it in your home to maximize its efficiency.
Moreover, you can also purchase radiant barrier paint online. However, make sure the service provider is certified and reliable. You can even hire them for the application process.
Sticking to one service provider can help you ensure that the job is done effectively. Then, if any mishaps are to follow, you will know who to get in touch with.
Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions Barrier Coat
This barrier paint is one of the most highly-rated on Amazon, and for good reason. It uses Hy-Tech’s ThermaCels technology along with a leafing metallic aluminum pigment to create a blended acrylic resin to create a paint that is highly insulating and moisture-preventing. It is available in both one and five gallon quantities.
Click here to view on Amazon.
LO/MIT-II MAX Attic Heat Barrier
LO/MIT-II Max’s Attic Heat Barrier is a water-based, 100% silicone paint tolerant up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. It also boasts an industry-low emissivity at .147.
Click here to view this product on Amazon.
Sunshield Radiant Barrier for Roofs and Exteriors
Sunshield is a water-based, high performance reflective white coating designed to prevent and block solar heat. It also acts as a water-tight barrier to prohibit moisutre buildup and has sound-dampening properties.
Click here to view Sunshield on HomeDepot.com.
How Much Does Radiant Barrier Paint Application Cost?
On average, you can expect the materials to cost anywhere between $0.10 to $0.95 per square foot. This figure is for premium quality radiant barrier paint.
By keeping this number in mind, you can have a rough idea of the quality of the paint you will be buying.
In addition, the cost of installation can lie between $700 and $1,700 on average. You can expect the professional contractor to charge $30 to $80 per hour for installing it.
How to Ensure Your Radiant Barrier Paint is Effective
Radiant barrier paints can be a bit tricky to get right because they require a set of measures to be followed strictly during application.
Here are some of the things you should keep in mind when using these paints. By following and being wary of these guidelines, you can expect your radiant barrier paint to provide optimal results.
- The correct coverage is a must. Applying a layer that is too thick or too thin can make the radiant barrier paint useless. For this, it’s best to skip the DIY project and hire a professional contractor or service provider.
- Opt for a radiant barrier paint that is of premium quality. It might be slightly more expensive, but the long-term return on investment will be higher. Thus, making up for the initial first investment of purchase and application. Check for the factory seal or label on the radiant barrier paint. You want to make sure that the product you have purchased is authentic.
- Ask your commercial contractor or service provider to apply a layer of primer before applying the radiant barrier paint. The cost for this is usually separate from the application of the paint. However, this additional step is sure to bind the radiant paint barrier on the surface better, making it last for a long while.
- Application of the radiant barrier paint requires wearing personal protective equipment and the use of specific tools. If the paint is being sprayed onto your roof, the correct spray tip and pressure are needed. Only an experienced contractor can get this right.
- Ensure the paint has enough air space and is not sandwiched between two layers. Insufficient airflow will reduce the primary benefit of the barrier paint.
- Avoid having water mixed into the paint to “cut” it. Most inexperienced contractors add water to radiant barrier paint to extend coverage. Be mindful of this when having it applied.
- Inquire about whether the radiant paint is perforated or non-perforated. The former type allows water vapor and air to pass through as it is porous. The non-perforated style does not have this property.
Applying it in your attic will thus only lead to moisture buildup and make it damp and prone to a mold outbreak, especially if you live in a humid area.
The Bottom Line
Radiant barrier paints are pretty effective for keeping your home cool throughout the hotter months. However, they work great for hot and warm climates and are known to bring down your energy costs.
Radiant barrier paint is one of the ideal ways to save on unwanted expenses and help save the planet. So, get your hands on the most premium brand of radiant barrier paint from your nearest contractor or home renovations expert.
Well, what are you waiting for? Get started today and apply the paint to your roof, attic, or walls. You will be glad you made this investment in the long run, that’s for sure!
If you found this article helpful, you can head to our website to see more content on everything related to radiant barrier paints. You can even forward this article to a find who may be contemplating investing in radiant barrier paints. They will indeed thank you for the help!