Energy bills can be a menace, especially during extreme temperatures when the need for HVAC is sky-high. The soaring costs are stressful and unwelcoming.
What if we told you there was a way to bring down unwanted utility expenses through a one-time investment? This can be achieved with radiant barrier sprays, which have become all the rage these days.
If you are curious to learn about what radiant barrier sprays are, which ones are the best, and where to get them from, then you have reached the right place.
Once finished reading this article, you may even head on out to buy this effective and rewarding investment right away.
Table of Contents
What is Radiant Barrier Spray?
Radiant barrier spray or paint is an insulating material with reflective properties. It reduces the amount of radiant heat absorbed from the sun on any surface.
You can have it installed on your roof, attic, or even your garage door. As a result, your property will stay pleasant and well aerated, especially during the hot summer months. Radiant barrier spray also helps keep temperatures even throughout the house and eliminates the need for air conditioning at night.
In addition, radiant barrier paint or spray can also be applied on sidewalls. This application works best in places prone to mold outbreaks as radiant barrier spray also prevents moisture buildup.
There is a wide range of radiant barrier sprays available to choose between. Each type has its characteristics that suit different needs.
Which is the Best Radiant Barrier Spray?
If you live in a dry area, a non-perforated radiant barrier spray is most effective. However, for humid places prone to frequent rainfall and moisture buildup, perforated sprays work best. They allow water vapor and moisture to escape, leading to a well-aerated attic or living space and mitigating the possibility of a mold outbreak.
Thus, the best radiant barrier spray for you depends on where you live. Regardless of your location, investing in high-quality radiant barrier spray that’s a bit on the pricey side is the way to go.
The extra expenditure will ensure that the spray is durable and long-lasting. Opting for a low-quality and inexpensive radiant barrier paint is asking for a disaster in the making. Be wary of this when comparing the prices of the products on the market.
Where to Buy Radiant Barrier Paint
You can find radiant barrier sprays on the shelf of any hardware store. However, it is best to purchase it from a reliable commercial contractor. Such contractors have access to the best radiant barrier sprays, and are generally 100 percent genuine. You don’t want to end up buying a low-quality radiant barrier spray for double the price.
Scams by retailers are pretty frequent. Thus, make sure you are in touch with a reliable and renowned contractor who can guide you better on the properties of the radiant barrier spray.
You can discuss your preferences with them and ask for help deciding where the barrier spray will work most effectively. They will even help you determine if the most suitable radiant barrier spray is perforated or non-perforated.
Here are some popular and highly effective radiant barrier sprays, along with their reflectivity ratio:
- Heat Bloc 75 – Reflectivity 78%
- Heat Bloc Ultra – Reflectivity 80.5%
- Lo/Mit-1 – Reflectivity 77%
- Lo/Mit-2 – Reflectivity 77%
- Lo/Mit -II Max
In addition, you can also find radiant sprays online. Several online platforms sell large varieties of radiant barrier paint. These retailers include Amazon, Home Depot, and Lowe’s.
But, be sure to do your research first regarding the vendor. Then, read the reviews given by customers to make a more informed decision.
Advantages Radiant Barrier Spray for Your Home or Office
Radiant barrier sprays are now a common feature in almost every home. They can also be applied to commercial facilities.
Barrier spray applications in such buildings help preserve the ecosystem and reduce their energy costs. As a result, consumers and organizations are moving towards this building material to help create a sustainable and safer world for future generations.
But that’s not all; radiant barrier paints have many additional benefits. Let’s have a look at the most advantageous:
- Having radiant barrier spray or paint applied to your home or property can increase its value, thus giving you a good bargain when you wish to sell it. This advantage is one reason why radiant barrier sprays are known for being a long-term investment.
- Radiant barrier spray comes free of any carcinogenic elements and toxic fumes. This feature makes it a safe product for you and your loved ones. In addition, you will not experience allergy flare-up during or post the application process.
- By having radiant barrier spray installed in your attic or sidewalls, you can expect a drastic reduction in the number of mold outbreaks. This decrease is because the spray paint prevents the buildup of moisture and humidity, which is the ideal breeding ground for mold spores.
- Installing radiant barrier paints reduces the need for HVAC. As a result, your utility bills and energy costs are sure to decrease as well. Then, you can head out for a much-needed vacation with the amount of money saved.
- If you live in an area prone to frequent rainfall, then there’s no need to worry about radiant barrier spray being worn away by the rain. It is waterproof and can withstand harsh weather conditions effortlessly.
- It is less bulky than traditional insulation since it is applied as a thin layer. Also, you might be concerned about how such a thin layer can work effectively. Well, here’s the catch—radiant barrier spray is meant to be applied as a thin layer and has features that are potent enough to make it work efficiently.
- The radon-retardant properties prevent the penetration of radon through the floor.
- Radiant barrier paint can last for up to ten years on average. You can even prolong its lifespan by following the suggestions below.
Tips to Make Your Radiant Barrier Paint Effective and Durable
There are a few key aspects to keep in mind when having radiant barrier spray installed, which will make your investment reap the proper return:
- Hire a professional and trusted service provider or contractor to install the radiant barrier spray. This oversight is because barrier sprays require an even application that is neither too thin nor thick. Only a certified and professional service provider can get this application right.
- Avoid being scammed into buying a low-quality, inexpensive spray. Premium quality radiant barrier paints are a bit heavy on the wallet. But, their long-run payback is higher as they are practical and durable.
- To enhance the efficiency of the radiant barrier spray, ask your commercial contractor to apply a coat of primer before. This application will help the radiant barrier spray seal into place.
- Don’t forget to check for the manufacturing details and factory seal on the container. If the seal is missing, chances are the product is not genuine and has additives included.
- If your commercial contractor advises mixing water into your spray to cut the mixture, be assured that they are not professionals. This is because adding water strips away the effectiveness of the radiant barrier spray.
- Invest in perforated or non-perforated spray, depending on where you live. You don’t want to end up getting the wrong kind.
- Radiant barrier paint works best when applied on open and spacious surfaces. When applied between two layers that inhibit airflow, the barrier is sure to be ineffective. Keep this in mind when having it installed.
Radiant barrier sprays are a quick and highly effective way to pull down unwanted energy costs. They are also renowned for playing a role in helping preserve the ecosystem by reducing the emissions of greenhouse gases.
Suppose you are conscious about your consumer decisions and wish to switch towards a sustainable way of living. In that case, opting for radiant barrier sprays is one step closer to achieving this goal.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started on it today and have your radiant barrier spray installed by a professional contractor.
If you found this article helpful and wish to learn more about radiant barriers, their costs, and their effectiveness, click here to see all the radiant barrier-related resources on our website.