Do you have drafty doors throughout your home? You’ve wanted to upgrade the doors to a less drafty model, but there always seems to be another home repair issue that takes up more of your time and budget first. You may consider using draft door stoppers as a stopgap, but do they save energy? If so, how much?
Reducing air leaks with draft door stoppers can lessen energy usage between 10 and 20 percent on your HVAC, but keep in mind that your savings when using door stoppers can vary based on several factors. These include your temperature preferences, climate, number of doors, and how drafty your doors are.
In today’s article, we’ll introduce you to draft door stoppers, then delve deeper into how much energy they may be able to save you. Make sure you check it out!
What Are Draft Door Stoppers?
Draft blockers or draft stoppers are a simple solution that can double as weatherstripping when appropriately used.
The stopper includes a tube made of a soft material like cloth. Stuffed inside the fabric are beans, rice, or batting to give the door stopper weight and allow it to block the air.
Once you purchase a draft stopper, you can lay it wherever your home is draftiest. Draft blockers work well underneath doors but are also efficient for drafty windows.
A draft stopper serves a twofold purpose. First, it locks in whatever warm air is in the house (or cool air in the case of the summertime).
Second, the draft stopper keeps outside air from getting into your home. As a result, you’ll have fewer areas of warm, stagnant air entering your house in the summer and less cold air blowing in during the winter.
Admittedly, a draft door stopper is an eyesore, but hey, if it works, it works!
How Much Energy Can You Save by Using Draft Door Stoppers?
So, does a draft blocker work? Yes, it can!
According to Energy.gov, reducing home draftiness could improve your year-over-year energy savings by 10 to 20 percent.
However, Energy.gov doesn’t mention door stoppers specifically, so you can’t take that estimate and necessarily apply it to using draft door stoppers.
After all, your energy savings rate depends on several factors mentioned in the intro. Let’s look now.
Your Temperature Preferences
How do you like to keep your home? Maybe you prefer in-the-middle temperatures, such as an average room temperature range. In that case, draft stoppers could be an appealing energy-saving prospect for you.
The climate you live in and the temperature extremes you face will also impact how much energy you can save by adding draft stoppers under your doors and windows.
You have to use a lot of heating or cooling to keep your home comfortable throughout the year if you live in extreme climates.
Retaining more of those indoor temperatures while keeping extreme outdoor temperatures from getting in will make a more significant difference for you than for someone who doesn’t have as many weather fluctuations.
How Many Doors You Have
The greater the number of doors, the greater the draftiness.
Even if you were to set up door stoppers in front of a few of these doors, you should notice an improvement in how comfortable your home feels.
If you put draft door stoppers in front of every door in the house, the changes in comfort will be even more pronounced.
You can save more energy since air leaks contribute a lot to your utility bills month in and month out.
How Drafty Your Doors Are
Then again, that does depend on how drafty your doors are.
If all the doors are drafty, then the above benefits apply. However, even if only some of your doors are drafty, you can save energy by covering the gaps.
If only one or two of the doors in your home have sizable gaps, then you’re not really in for significant savings.
What Are Some Other Benefits of Draft Door Stoppers?
The amount of energy a draft stopper will save on your utility bills is negligible. Still, you may consider adding one or several stoppers to the doors throughout your house.
In that case, you can enjoy the following benefits.
Easy to Set Up
Some energy-saving solutions discussed on the blog are rather complex. You always appreciate the easy ones, like lowering your water heater temperature.
Well, using draft stoppers is another easy solution. It couldn’t be any easier!
All you have to do is buy a couple of draft stoppers, lay them in front of your door, and that’s all there is to it.
You will only spend a little money to acquire a draft stopper, as these air-blocking solutions retail for between $10 and $20 a pop.
You’ll spend under $100 to block drafts if your home has four interior doors.
That’s much more cost-effective than replacing doors outright, which costs at least $50 per door but possibly up to $300 or $500 per door, says Angi.
A door stopper is only temporary if your doors are seriously drafty enough. You’ll save much more money upgrading to Energy Star doors than trying to blockade your old, drafty doors.
No Installation Necessary
It’s also beneficial how adding draft stoppers to your home doesn’t require any installation. As a result, you don’t have to set aside a weekend for the job or even an entire afternoon.
Suppose you have five or 10 minutes and enough draft stoppers. You can cover each door and enjoy a more comfortable home that’s moderately more eco-friendly than before you used the door stoppers.
It Could Help If You Have Allergies and/or Asthma
Do you have allergies? Perhaps another family member in the house does.
Breathing in outdoor air is a great way to aggravate allergies, especially if you react to pollen. That’s why you usually keep the windows closed, even on a nice day.
Your drafty doors can negate all your hard work as the pollen-filled air seeps in from the outside.
Adding a door stopper or several around your home will keep more of that indoor air trapped in place.
As for those with asthma, breathing in cold air can cause your airways to constrict, which makes it harder to breathe. You can also benefit if the air in your home stays at a more comfortable temperature.
So Where Can You Buy Draft Stoppers?
Locally, hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowes carry some in stock, but the selection may be limited. When you visit those sites, be sure to click “In Stock At Store Today” so you can see what’s local to you.
If you know the dimensions of your door (use a measuring tape to measure the width), it’s probably easiest to order online, and we all know what URL we type in first when shopping online these days.
To save you some time (potentially), here are some of the best-selling draft stoppers on Amazon right now:
- Weighted door draft stopper: sandbags are specially added to make the product heavier
- Hook and loop fixation: hook and loop fixation is used on the door to prevent from moving with the opening of the door
- Large size: 36 inches in length and 4.5 inches in width (suitable for gaps up to 4.5 inch ) meeting the needs of most families
- Multiple Functions: can reduce the noise and block the cold/hot wind/smoke outside, making the indoor more comfortable
- Superior fabrics: soft texture, simple, elegant; can hang it on anywhere with its two hanging loops, such as door handle and clothes hook; Easy to storge
- Easy to install: adjustable size for most homes; Please measure the gap and width of the door before purchasing and keep the door clean to ensure our draft stopper works as intended；
- Large size sponge is not ordinary slender sponge, which will not move with the opening of the door
- Hook and loop fastener design, keeps foam tubes safely inside even with constant opening and closing of doors
- Block light and windshield, it can block the cold/hot wind/smoke outside, making the indoor more comfortable
- Can be recycled without damaging the door, detachable bag, can be repeatedly washed and used, can be machine washed; Please keep low temperature when drying
- Robust adhesion: door draft stopper, filling gaps up to 1 inch, equipped with exceptionally strong adhesive that remains intact over time, ensuring a secure bond for enduring door protection; Kindly avoid opening and closing the doors within 12 hours after installation for optimal results
- Noise reduction: the door bottom seal designed by special structural, keep your room quiet, clean, suitable temperature
- Save money and energy: the most efficient solution to prevent the heat and cold from escaping during winter and summer, reduce electric cost
- Easy to install: can be used on interior and exterior doors, fast and easy to install within 2 minutes
- High quality material: practical gap sealer is made of non toxic material, homogeneity of color, the same interior and exterior; heat and cold resistant
- [Affordable]Single-side door draft stoppers are generally less expensive than double door draft stoppers. Our door draft stopper is the cost-effective option for people who want to reduce energy costs without spending a lot of money.
- [Essential Winter Home improvement Accessories] Still concerned about cold air sneaking in under your door this winter? The HomProtect Door Seal ensuring you keep the cold air at bay while maintaining a cozy interior.
- [Easy to Install] Install Our door air blocker,you just have to measure the length of your door,cut the suitable size and peel the adhesive layer off, stick the Velcro in the door,and stick our door draft stopper.It is recommended to use a hair dryer to preheat the glue to make it firmer.
- [Upgrade One Sided Door Draft Stopper]HomeProtect one-sided under door draft stopper is made from top quality styrofoam and abrasion resistant Fabric fits door up to 36 inch, can cover gaps below 1.4 inches.
- [Save Energy & Money]Using weather stripping door seal to increase energy efficiency by reducing heat loss from the room, thereby reducing more than 30% energy bills and creating a more comfortable living space.
- Save Money and Energy : Evelots set of 2 Dog draft stoppers are Adorable. Cold air stays out and heat stays in. Cool and heat your home more efficiently with this animal-themed 38 inch fabric door draft guard. Also great for blocking noise and light
- Stay Warm : Plush realistic looking dog draft stopper keeps your home warm and cozy while adding charm to your decor. Weighted so it fits snugly against the bottom of your door or drafty window
- Easy to Store : Helps keep your floor clutter free. Comes with handy loops on either end for quick and easy storage on the doorknob or other convenient place. No risk of tripping on it when not in use
- Complements Any Decor : Draft stopper fits perfectly against your door. Measures approximately 38 Inches Long x 4 Inches wide x 6 Inches Height over all
- From our Vermont home to yours: For over 10 years, Evelots has offered customers unique products with a 30-day easy return policy.
Blocking drafts from doors and windows in your home can reduce your utility spending by 10 to 20 percent. Part of the solution for lowering draftiness could be using door draft stoppers.
Draft stoppers are inexpensive, don’t require installation, and can be moved and reused later, so they’re a good value.
That said, they’re putting a Band-Aid over a broken arm. Until you upgrade your drafty doors to Energy Star doors, you will continue to pay for air leaks month in and month out.
Purchasing an Energy Star-approved door will keep your home comfortable, reduce your utility bills, and make air leaks a thing of the past!
Attainable Home, LLC participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, where some of the links in our articles earn us a small commission. Feel free to use them or not, the pricing does not change either way, but it does help support the team here.