Alternative and sustainable energy are gaining traction among homeowners. For example, installing a small wind turbine for your home is one way to generate power independently and cut your energy bills.
Unfortunately, not everyone has the space for large turbines—thankfully, many small home wind turbine options are available.
If you’re interested in installing one of these turbines for your home to supplement your energy demand, we’ve compiled a list of the smallest high-quality home wind turbines available to save you time researching from scratch.
Keep reading for all the details on these five fantastic non-intrusive home wind turbine options.
What Is the Smallest Home Wind Turbine Available?
The most petite home wind turbine you can buy is the Primus Wind Power Air 40 Wind Turbine Generator.
This turbine can generate 40 kWh of energy each month despite its size.
You can install it at your home, boat, or RV without being obstructive.
Best Overall: Primus Wind Power Air 40 Wind Turbine Generator
This home wind turbine from Primus is equipped with advanced microprocessor technology and high wind protection for better performance.
It can generate up to 40 kWh of energy every month at a rated wind speed of 13.4 mph (21.57 kilometers per hour).
With a lightweight and compact design, this small wind turbine can be an excellent yet unobtrusive power source for your home.
Its maximum wind speed of 110 mph (177 kilometers per hour) makes it perfect for small to medium-sized homes and off-grid living.
In addition, it comes with an integrated charger, meaning it’s easy to install and use.
Although it may be relatively expensive, this Primus home wind turbine generator is an excellent investment.
Wind-generated electricity is essentially free. So, aside from the initial and maintenance costs, it can help you cut your electricity bills in half.
- Dimensions: 2 x 12.5 x 9 inches (5.08 x 31.75 x 22.86 cm)
- Weight: 13 lbs (5.9 kg)
- Number of blades: 3
- Maximum power: 400 watts
- Rated wind speed: 13.4 mph (21.57 kph)
- Easy to install – comes equipped with an integrated controller for easy installation and effortless plug-and-play operation. Primus Tech Support can also help you with any questions during the turbine’s installation.
- Quiet operation – the aluminum blades are designed for optimum efficiency, making the turbine one of the quietest options on the market. So, it’s unlikely to disturb your home living with loud, unwanted noises.
- Capable of handling various environments – it is designed for durability and weather resistance. This versatile wind turbine can withstand land and marine applications alike.
- Warranty – it comes with a warranty of up to five years. If you’re not immediately signed up for the warranty upon purchase, you can register your unit at the Primus Wind Power Product Warranty page.
- More expensive than other options – Primus Wind Power prides itself on its reliable and efficient products, including this small home wind turbine. However, this wind turbine is somewhat more expensive than the others on this list.
Runner Up: Pikasola Wind Turbine Generator 12V 400W
The next best modest home wind turbine you can get is this mid-range option from Pikasola.
Featuring aluminum and stainless steel fittings and high-strength blades, this home wind turbine is highly durable and weather-resistant.
It has an intelligent microprocessor, which regulates the energy current and voltage. This feature can help keep the turbine facing the wind and increase efficiency.
Furthermore, it also comes with an integrated voltage regulator, preventing overcharging by stopping energy flow to your battery when fully charged.
Better yet, the kit also comes with a wind gauge or anemometer. This tool can measure wind speed, pressure, and direction, allowing you to pick the best location to install your turbine.
- Dimensions: 28 x 8.7 x 2 inches (71.12 x22.1 x 5.08 cm)
- Weight: 18 lbs (8.16 kg)
- Number of blades: 3
- Maximum power: 410 watts
- Rated wind speed: 29 mph (46.67 kph)
- Waterproof – this home wind turbine is waterproof IP67, which means it can work for up to 30 minutes even while submerged. This IP rating also means the turbine is 100% protected against dust, sand, and other airborne particles.
- Blades are strong and durable – nylon carbon fiber material provides the blades with excellent resistance to UV damage, oxidation, and corrosion under harsh conditions.
- Includes a wind gauge – the generator kit comes with an anemometer to measure wind speed, pressure, and direction. This tool will help you pick the best location for the turbine, increasing its energy efficiency and helping it generate more power.
- Longer potential lifespan – it’s protected against overcharging thanks to its voltage regulator and intelligent microprocessor. Thus, the turbine’s battery and circuit have a longer potential lifespan than other products on the market.
- No mounting pole – the kit doesn’t include a mounting pole, so you must purchase one separately.
- Low power output – it produces relatively low power output, so it functions best as a supplemental power source. Thankfully, homeowners can combine it with solar panels.
Best Budget Pick: Dyna-Living Wind Turbine Generator Kit 500W
The Dyna-Living Wind Turbine Generator Kit 500W can be a fantastic home wind turbine option if you’re on a budget.
This high-quality device is surprisingly affordable and an excellent pick for homeowners looking to save some money.
The unit’s maximum output is 500 watts, which can be attained with approximately 29 mph (46.67 kph) of rated wind speed.
In addition, its compact size makes it a nice pick for smaller homes, RVs, campsites, and boats.
- Dimensions: 28 x 11 x 9 inches (71.12 x 27.94 x 22.86 cm)
- Weight: 15.7 lbs (7.1 kg)
- Number of blades: 5
- Maximum power: 500 watts
- Rated wind speed: 29 mph (46.67 kph)
- Excellent temperature resistance – the turbine’s coil is made of Teflon wire, resistant to high and low temperatures. So, it can withstand harsh conditions and have a longer lifespan.
- Easy to install – the generator kit comes with a bag of mounting accessories and an easy-to-understand user manual, making installation more effortless.
- Suitable as a supplemental power source – this home wind turbine works best as an additional power source. Most users seem to purchase it in addition to their solar panel setup.
- No mounting pole – this home wind turbine doesn’t include a mounting pole, and buying a suitable one can be somewhat pricey.
- Requires high and constant wind speeds – some users have noted that this turbine requires high and continuous wind speeds to function correctly. So, it’s highly recommended to be familiar with the wind currents in your area before purchasing this product.
Best for Travel: Pacific Sky Power Travel Wind Turbine
Technically, this is the most petite wind turbine on this list.
However, there’s a reason it wasn’t crowned as the best option — it’s far too small to power a home.
Unlike the other options on this list, the Pacific Sky Power travel turbine is best used as a supplemental travel power source.
Its lightweight and compact design are perfect for camping, road trips, and more.
This portable wind turbine can only generate 15 watts of energy. That may not be much, but it’s sufficient for charging your phone and powering small appliances while you’re on the road.
It’s a great product to make your travel excursions more eco-friendly.
- Dimensions: 3 x 5 x 1.25 inches (7.62 x 12.7 x 3.175 cm)
- Weight: 3 lbs (1.36 kg)
- Number of blades: 3
- Maximum power: 15 watts
- Rated wind speed: 8-12 mph (12.87-19.31 kph)
- Lightweight and compact – at three lbs (1.36 kg), this is one of the tiniest wind turbines on the market. Its lightweight and compact design make it perfect for traveling and small charging operations.
- Low noise – it emits little to no sound, so it won’t bother you with unwanted noises even when it’s near your living area.
- Includes an easy-to-use tripod – the kit comes with a 50″-tall (120 cm) tripod stand, helping it catch more wind and generate energy efficiently. So, you don’t need to purchase a separate mounting pole.
- Doesn’t produce a lot of energy – this turbine only generates 15 watts of energy, which is significantly lower than other turbines on the market. However, it’s enough to charge your electronic devices, jump-start your car, and power LED lighting and small appliances.
- Relatively expensive – this product has a relatively high price tag, considering its small power output.
Best for All Ages: DIY Small Wind Turbine Generator
The DIY Small Wind Turbine Generator (link to Amazon) is another excellent small wind turbine you can buy for your home.
As the name suggests, this is a DIY-friendly kit that you can easily install in your backyard without hiring a professional.
The best part about this small wind turbine is that it’s made to withstand super strong winds. It comes with strip lights that lights up against the wind. Therefore, you don’t need batteries to operate it.
- Brand: Nightbreeze
- Color: Multicolor
- Material: ASA/PVC/PC
- Dimensions: 18.1″W x 27.5″H
- User-friendly: You can easily install it without hiring a professional
- Durable: It uses a brushless motor that enhances its longevity.
- Ideal for outdoor use: Its age-resistant and rain-proof nature makes it ideal for the outdoors.
- May not be efficient: Its smaller motor may not generate sufficient energy, especially in areas with low wind speeds.
Small home wind turbines are a great eco-friendly option to power your home.
If you live in areas with reliable wind speeds, you’ll find that turbines can help cut your monthly electricity bill in half.
The initial investment may be expensive, but it will help you save more money in the long run.
Hopefully, you can find one that suits your needs from our top picks.
The smallest and best home wind turbines are the Primus Wind Power Turbine and Pikasola Wind Turbine Generator. We recommend the affordable Dyna-Living Wind Turbine for those on a tighter budget.