Heat pump dryers are the most energy-efficient option on the market.
However, they come in different models with varying technologies to enhance efficiency. As a result, it can be challenging to narrow down to the most efficient model that meets your needs.
This article will discuss the best energy-efficient heat pump dryers on the market, including their pros and cons. You’ll be able to make an informed decision regarding a heat pump dryer that meets your laundry needs after reading.
So let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- Best Overall – LG Compact Ventless Stackable
- Best Variable Temperature Settings – Samsung Stackable Ventless
- Best for Large Loads – Electrolux 4 Cubic Feet Stackable Ventless Dryer
- Best Technology – LG Smart Wi-Fi-Enabled Ventless Dryer
- Intuitive Touch Controls – Whirlpool Stackable Chrome Shadow Ventless Dryer
- Efficient Refresh Cycles – Electrolux W8 Cu Front Load Dryer
- Best Price – Black + Decker BCED26 Portable Dryer
- Quick Drying – Electrolux 8 Cubic Feet Stackable Steam Cycle Dryer
- Final Thoughts
Best Overall – LG Compact Ventless Stackable
LG’s Compact Ventless Stackable heat pump dryer is the top choice for efficiency and safety. Unlike others, which expose your clothes to wrinkles and weakened fabric, this model has a dual inverter pump system that increases moisture propulsion in the tumble drum, allowing quicker drying duration.
It’s worth noting that excessive temperatures in the tumble drum weaken your clothes’ fabrics, exposing them to wear and tear. However, this is not the case with the LG Compact Ventless Stackable, as it has a sensor drying system that measures moisture content in the fabrics and adjusts the temperature accordingly.
The LG Compact Ventless Stackable will not expose you to high electricity bills at the end of the month. This model is the most energy-efficient heat pump dryer on the market due to its operating procedure. Unlike conventional dryers, which pump moisture outside the drum, this model recycles the moisture to preserve heat.
Finally, this model doesn’t require an external vent, so you can save on installation costs and space. Thus, you can install it anywhere in the house, provided there is a draining space.
- It’s energy-efficient: The dryer uses a closed-loop heat exchange mechanism that recycles moisture to reduce drying time and conserve energy. This heat exchange mechanism reduces energy use by at least 28%.
- Doesn’t require an external vent: You can install this dryer anywhere in your house without needing an exterior vent.
- Sensor drying system: It protects your clothes from damage by adjusting the temperature according to moisture content.
- Can handle a big load: It can take 8.45 pounds (3.83 kilograms) of laundry in a single cycle. This capacity makes it best for medium to large-sized families.
- Long drying time: Compared to its vented counterparts, the LG Compact Ventless Stackable takes longer to dry clothes as it lacks a heating element. Therefore, it doesn’t produce very high temperatures in the tumble drum.
- Needs draining: This dryer condenses and stores water in a reservoir. Thus, you must drain this water after every use by attaching a hose to its back.
- It’s expensive: The LG Compact Ventless Stackable is one of the most costly heat pump dryers on the market. Therefore, it might not be your best option if you’re on a tight budget.
Best Variable Temperature Settings – Samsung Stackable Ventless
Temperature is a crucial consideration when it comes to drying your clothes. You don’t want excessively high temperatures as they will weaken the fabrics, exposing your clothes to wrinkles, wear, and tear.
Clothes come in various fabrics, like wool and cotton, which can withstand different temperatures.
The Samsung Stackable Ventless heat pump dryer allows you to vary the drying temperature based on the type of fabric. With five temperature settings, you can dry different types of clothes without causing damage.
This model also boasts a moisture sensor that automatically shuts off the machine when your clothes are dry. This feature protects the clothes from over-drying, which can damage their fibers.
This heat pump dryer is also ideal for small spaces. If you live in a squeezed apartment, you don’t have to worry about space as this dryer has a width of 24 inches (0.61 meters). Thus, it can fit in tight quarters.
- It’s safe for laundry: The dryer has variable temperature settings, which allow you to select the best temperature based on your clothes’ fabrics. This customization eliminates the possibility of weakening the materials due to high temperatures.
- Can be installed anywhere: The dryer doesn’t need venting. Therefore, you can install it anywhere in your home without worrying about its proximity to an exterior wall to connect a vent.
- It’s energy-efficient: This Samsung heat pump dryer saves your electricity bills by recycling moisture instead of expelling it. Furthermore, it lacks a heating element which consumes too much power to heat the air.
- Small size: This unit is compact enough to fit anywhere in your home.
- Expensive: It is quite costly, which might not be affordable for some people.
- Needs time to dry: The machine doesn’t have a heating element. Therefore, drying clothes takes longer than other models—the drying temperature does not exceed 50°C (122°F).
- Requires draining: The machine collects water in a reservoir. Thus, you must drain this water after each use to prevent it from overflowing.
Best for Large Loads – Electrolux 4 Cubic Feet Stackable Ventless Dryer
If you have a significant family, you want a dryer that can hold a big load. Such a dryer saves you time by reducing the frequency of washing.
The Electrolux 4 Cubic Feet Stackable Ventless Dryer is one of the best in this category. It can handle large loads in a single cycle with a four cubic feet capacity.
This heat pump dryer maintains a gentle dry by using low temperatures on all clothes. However, this doesn’t mean you’ll spend a whole day waiting for one load to be dried—the machine has an adjustable temperature knob that allows you to adjust the temperatures based on time preference.
It’s worth noting that setting this unit to excessive temperatures is not advisable. High temperatures shorten the lifespan of your clothes by weakening the fibers.
- Large capacity: The Electrolux Stackable dryer has a hefty load capacity of four cubic feet. This size is ideal for large families as it can handle big loads in a single cycle.
- Can be installed anywhere: The machine doesn’t require a vent, so you can install it anywhere in your home without worrying about an exterior venting wall.
- Adjustable temperatures: This heat pump dryer has an adjustable temperature knob that allows you to set the temperatures based on your time preference.
- Comes with a direct drain: Direct drains make it easier to empty the tank. They eliminate the hassle of connecting a hose to the sink or floor drain.
- Gentle on your clothes: You can rest assured that your clothes in the dryer are safe. The low-temperature operation is suitable for all fabrics.
- Energy efficiency: Like other heat pump dryers, the Electrolux uses a closed-loop heat exchange system which saves energy.
- Extended drying time: The absence of a heating coil means the machines don’t produce high temperatures for quicker drying. Therefore, it’s a time-consuming dryer that might not suit your impatience.
- Requires draining: The machine adds your work by collecting water in the tank. You must empty the tank after every use to prevent condensation, which might expose your home to water damage and molds.
- It’s costly: The machine is quite expensive, which might not be affordable for some people on a budget.
Best Technology – LG Smart Wi-Fi-Enabled Ventless Dryer
We all know that technology makes human life easier—you don’t have to do everything manually. The LG Smart Wi-Fi-Enabled Ventless Dryer does just that.
Homeowners can control this LG dryer remotely due to its Wi-Fi connectivity. This technology means you can start, stop, and monitor the machine from your phone. In addition, the device comes with the ThinQ app, which provides information about drying times and temperatures.
The absence of a heating coil doesn’t make this dryer any less efficient. Instead, it uses a sensor to detect moisture levels in clothes and automatically adjusts the drying time and temperature. This system ensures that it dries your clothes without exposing them to excessive heat, which might damage them.
- Smart technology: You can control the LG remotely using your phone.
- Efficiency: The machine uses a sensor to detect moisture levels in clothes and protect items from heat damage. In addition, it is Energy Star-certified.
- Ventless: The machine doesn’t require a vent, so you can install it anywhere in your home without worrying about venting outdoors.
- High cost: The machine is pricier owing to its smart technology features.
- Significant drying time: The machine is gentle on garments by emitting moderate temperatures to dry clothes. Therefore, it takes extra long to dry heavy garments like jackets.
- Technology-savvy: This unit requires a tech-savvy owner for efficient operation. You must know how to use a smartphone to control it remotely.
Intuitive Touch Controls – Whirlpool Stackable Chrome Shadow Ventless Dryer
The Whirlpool Stackable Chrome Shadow Ventless Dryer is an easy-to-use heat pump dryer. The intuitive touch controls make it user-friendly as you can select the desired drying cycle with just a few taps.
The ability to customize up to 36 cycle combinations makes the unit excellent for different fabrics with diverse needs. You can also set the dryer to start automatically at a later time. This feature is convenient if you want to take advantage of lower energy rates during off-peak hours.
This heat pump dryer uses a sensor drying system that prevents over-drying and saves energy. The end-of-cycle signal notifies you when the clothes are ready, so you don’t have to keep checking.
- User-friendliness: Intuitive touch controls make it user-friendly as you can select the desired drying cycle with just a few taps.
- Customizability: The ability to customize up to 36 cycle combinations makes the machine excellent for different fabrics with diverse needs.
- Sensor drying system: The unit uses a sensor drying system that prevents over-drying and saves energy. These sensors adapt drying times that end the cycles immediately after the clothes are thoroughly dried.
- End-of-cycle signal: The end-of-cycle alert notifies you when the clothes are thoroughly dried so you can remove them.
- High cost: This heat pump dryer is a bit pricey, but it’s worth the investment if you’re looking for a durable and user-friendly heat pump dryer.
- The machine offers a large load capacity: It has a 7.4 cubic feet (0.21 cubic meter) load capacity. However, the size makes installation challenging as you need sufficient space.
- Drying times are long: The machine has an extended drying time, but this is because it doesn’t over-dry clothes. The moderate temperatures are gentle on clothes, thus the long drying times.
Efficient Refresh Cycles – Electrolux W8 Cu Front Load Dryer
Refresh cycles are an added advantage as they eliminate temp spikes by tumbling clothes at lower temperatures for a short period. The Electrolux W8 Cu Front Load Dryer is ideal for lightly-worn clothes that only need a refresh.
The machine has a steam function that removes wrinkles and freshens clothes. It also has a delicate cycle, perfect for drying delicate items like lingerie and sweaters.
The LuxCare Dry System in this heat pump dryer is crucial for the safety of your clothes. The system prevents over or under-drying by evenly distributing heat. There’s also a moisture sensor that automatically adjusts drying times.
- Eliminates temperature spikes: The refresh cycles are an added advantage as they eliminate temperature spikes by tumbling clothes at lower temps for a short period.
- Steam function: The machine has a steam function that removes wrinkles and freshens clothes.
- Suitable for delicate garments: This heat pump dryer has a delicate cycle perfect for drying sensitive clothes like lingerie and sweaters.
- Ensures a perfect dry: The LuxCare Dry System ensures your clothes are not under or over-dried.
- Energy-saving: This model is Energy Star-verified, meaning it saves energy.
- Large capacity: The machine has a maximum load capacity of eight cubic feet (0.23 cubic meters). This capacity is ideal for large families or commercial purposes.
- It’s pricey: This heat pump dryer is quite expensive, but it has excellent features that are worth the price.
- Long drying times: The unit requires a considerable drying time which needs patience. However, the clothes come out perfectly dry.
- Large size: The machine is bulky and needs sufficient space for installation.
Best Price – Black + Decker BCED26 Portable Dryer
You don’t have to break your bank account to acquire an energy-efficient heat pump dryer. The Black + Decker BCED26 Portable Dryer is quite affordable and still saves you money on your energy bills.
The machine uses 120 volts and has a load capacity of 8.8 pounds (4 kilograms). The unit is perfect for small apartments or dorm rooms with limited space.
The unit allows you to choose a drying mode that fits your needs. It has air dry, cool, hot, and warm options to suit your preferences.
Finally, this heat pump dryer ensures a hassle-free drying that takes 30 minutes to 3 hours and 20 minutes. In addition, the tumbling function prevents clothes from tangling and creasing.
- Affordability: The Black + Decker BCED26 is quite affordable and still saves you money on your energy bills.
- Multi-functional: This model allows you to choose a drying mode that fits your needs. It has air dry, cool, hot, and warm options for different fabrics.
- Energy-efficient: As it operates at 120 volts, this heat pump dryer is energy-efficient.
- Hassle-free: The tumbling function prevents clothes from tangling and creasing.
- It takes a while to dry: This heat pump dryer takes between 30 minutes to over three hours to completely dry clothes.
- Small capacity: The unit is not ideal for large families due to its small capacity.
Quick Drying – Electrolux 8 Cubic Feet Stackable Steam Cycle Dryer
The Electrolux 8 Cubic Feet (0.23 cubic meter) Stackable Steam Cycle Dryer is the go-to option if you always want to finish your laundry work as fast as possible. It incorporates a steam cycle that cuts down on drying time by supplying steam evenly.
It also uses a unique sensor that automatically adjusts the drying time. This way, you’re assured of perfectly dry clothes without wrinkles.
With this option, the worry of when the clothes will dry is a thing of the past. The machine has a predictive dry feature that uses sensors to calculate the drying time. Within 90 seconds of starting the device, the system notifies you when the clothes will be completely dry.
- Speedy: The Electrolux dryer cuts down on drying time by supplying steam evenly. This way, you’re assured of perfectly dry clothes without overthinking the process.
- It eliminates the long wait: You don’t have to keep monitoring the machine to see when clothes dry. Instead, the predictive dry feature notifies you when the clothes will be dry. Therefore, you can carry on with other activities without worry.
- Efficiency: The Electrolux is an Energy Star-certified appliance, meaning it is energy-efficient and will save you money on energy bills.
- Ideal for large families: A load capacity of up to eight cubic feet (0.23 cubic meters) is suitable for families with many people.
- It’s quite pricey: This heat pump dryer is a bit expensive, but its features are worth the cost.
- Bulkiness: The unit is quite large and might not be ideal for small apartments or homes. There needs to be sufficient space for installation.
Heat pump dryers provide optimal efficiency while saving energy. These dryers save between 40-50% of electricity and are ideal if you want to save money on your energy bills while maintaining drying efficiency.
The best way to get a suitable option is by considering your budget and the available installation space.