With the adverse impact of climate change already picking up momentum, the need to go green has become a defining aspect of consumerism today. As a result, minimizing the use of plastic and equipment that release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere is expected.
One product is often overlooked for its ability to help save the planet, all while taking care of the health and well-being of you and your loved ones. This product is eco-friendly paint.
It is free of the chemicals and carcinogenic elements found in traditional paints toxic to human health. Conventional paint fumes also add to the air pollution during manufacturing and application.
You may have often noticed your eyes burning or experienced an allergy flare-up while giving your kitchen drawers a new coat of paint. This irritation is inevitable because of the presence of harmful chemicals in paint.
Improved health and environmental impact are why eco-friendly paint is becoming the go-to product you can invest your time and money in.
Table of Contents
- What Is Eco-Friendly Paint: The Breakdown
- Eco-Friendly Paint Benefits and Drawbacks
- Eight Cheap And Eco-Friendly Paints (Brands and Prices)
- Ecos Paint
- Go Green World Products
- Dunn Edwards
- AFM Safecoat
- What To Look For When Purchasing Eco-Friendly Paint
- Wrapping Up
What Is Eco-Friendly Paint: The Breakdown
Eco-friendly paint, or environmentally-friendly paint, is the paint that has been manufactured under certain environmental specifications and conditions. It is made using ingredients with a low carbon footprint that are obtained from the earth without causing a high ecological impact. Most traditional paints are produced using minerals from the ground that have mainly been collected using highly intensive procedures that damage the ecosystem.
In addition, traditional paints have chemical components and pigments that are hazardous when inhaled. These elements include lead, cadmium, chromium, and even formaldehyde, consisting of volatile organic compounds, i.e., VOCs.
They evaporate at room temperature—this is the so-called “smell” of paint left behind that can lead to eye irritation, headaches, and even kidney damage. On the other hand, green and eco-friendly colors are devoid of these elements, making eco-friendly paints an investment worth the money.
Eco-Friendly Paint Benefits and Drawbacks
Let’s have a look at some of the pros and cons of purchasing eco-friendly paint. While the limits are not a cause of concern, being wary of them is important.
- Eco-friendly paint is ideal for people who have pets and children, especially if respiratory illnesses are frequent in their homes. This is because eco-friendly paints are non-hazardous.
- They are known for their environmentally-friendly qualities due to the presence of low VOCs.
- They come with a richer hue due to natural pigments.
- It can easily be disposed of without worrying about its adverse impact.
- Eco-friendly paints come in tester pots as well. You can thus do a patch test and see if it would work well with your home/room theme.
- Eco-friendly paints can take a long while to dry. But, this is due to the minimal presence of additives and chemicals in its formula.
- These paints come in limited colors since they are derived from natural pigments. However, these colors are versatile and can blend well with any aesthetic.
- They are a bit pricey but are worth it in the long run.
- It can be challenging to find these products in stores due to the limited production capacity. Yet, you can buy them from renowned home decor stores in various US states, or online through retailer’s websites.
Eight Cheap And Eco-Friendly Paints (Brands and Prices)
Here are some of the top eco-friendly paints that can be found across the US.
They rank high in terms of durability, reliability, and affordability. These light-on-the-pocket paint products are all the rage today and can be used in homes and commercial properties.
BioShield Paint is ideal for painting over bricks and textured walls. So, if you have a brick wall inside your home or property, this paint would be the perfect fit.
The colors here are solvent-free and free of VOCs, and the ingredients used in making the paints are water, asbestos-free talc, and chalk.
One gallon of this paint will cover over 300 square feet. One gallon of BioShield Paint can cost you around $42, and you can place an order online.
Valspar paints are one of a kind. If you see them on the shelf of a store or can have them shipped to your home, you might want to move on them right away. There are over 2,000 colors available, and $50 can get you a gallon of this paint.
In addition, all you need is one coat of this product. Once the paint dries, your home is sure to look bright and brand new. You can place an order for this paint at Lowe’s as well.
This paint is water-based and comes with zero VOCs. In addition, it is certified by Greeguard Gold, making it one of the most genuine and highly eco-friendly products on the market today.
The paint is also washable and has a self-primer included in its formula.
Thus, there is no need to apply a layer of primer before applying this product, which will help you save on extra costs and time.
In addition, you can sleep soundly in your freshly painted room without the fear of the potent smell giving you a headache.
The eco-friendly paints by Clare cost in the price range of between $40 and $60 and leave no odor behind.
The chalk paints from Ecos Paint are quite durable. They dry quickly and are super resilient.
The best part is that these paints are odorless as well. They are also washable and have a low sheen, wich is perfect for those individuals who like a muted aesthetic in their homes.
So, get your hands on this nontoxic and water-based paint today! It’s produced in South Carolina and starts at a sample price of $3.95 for 2oz.
The eco-friendly paints at Behr are also Greenguard Gold-certified.
In addition, it has an emission rate of fewer than 0.5 grams per liter, which makes it a wise product to pick over most traditional paints that are laced with VOCs.
Moreover, these Behr paints come with a primer included.
These paints are also mold and mildew-resistant. Thus, helping you solve your mold outbreak problem once and for all! You will not experience any mold spores during periods with high humidity levels.
Go Green World Products
What makes this eco-friendly paint different is the plant-based ingredients used in its production.
Petroleum-based latex is not used in any of the colors manufactured by Go Green World Products. They are VOC-free and are 100% compliant with the EPA specifications and standards.
You can get a gallon of this paint for less than $50.
In addition, Go Green also has a wide range of other eco-friendly products available such as floor seals, wood stains, and coatings.
To browse through these products, head to its website to get started. You can place an online order and have your desired eco-friendly paint delivered to your doorstep in no time!
The paints at Dunn Edwards are VOC-free as well. All are sure to be found here from interior paints, exterior paints, and primer.
This paint manufacturer has been in the industry since 1925. Thus, it has all the latest and most updated insights on eco-friendly paints.
In addition, Dunn Edwards has improved its paint formula over the years to be affordable, reliable, and eco-friendly.
One gallon of its paint costs less than $60, making it quite pocket friendly. All you need is one coat of this product.
Additionally, it’s easy to use. If you have young children who frequently draw on the walls, then investing in Dunn Edwards paints is the way to go—this paint is washable and free of any toxic smell and odor.
You can purchase a 2oz sample of AFM Safecoat paint for $6. The paints provided here are zero-VOC and are known for their smooth finish.
You can paint your walls, cabinets, furniture, and even your garage door with eco-friendly paints from Safecoat. Visit the website to learn more about the wide range of colors.
What To Look For When Purchasing Eco-Friendly Paint
When making the purchase, you want to ensure that the product is 100% original. This caution is because it is easy to replicate eco-friendly paint using low-quality materials.
Hence, checking if it is genuine when buying eco-friendly paint is essential. Here are some ways to ensure this:
- Make sure the factory label and seal are present on the paint can. If the seal is damaged or broken, chances are the paint has been used previously and filled again with a low-quality replacement.
- Read the labels for certifications. These include the Greenguard Certification or the Green Wise label. These indicate the number of emissions a product can release and the amount of VOCs present per liter.
- The declared designation identifies whether the paint meets the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) standard method. Be sure to give this a quick check as well.
- When purchasing online, check the reviews and reliability of the vendor. Most scams regarding eco-friendly paints are done through online platforms.
- Avoid buying used paint. Instead, always invest your time and money in a sealed can that comes with all the labels intact.
Now that you know everything about eco-friendly paints, you can get started on making your home more sustainable. All you have to do is get your hands on one of the paints mentioned here and transform your lifestyle into one that is more environmentally conscious.
You are going to be in awe of the results. From zero allergy flare-ups during and post-paint application to a bright and eco-friendly home to walk into every day, a healthier and happier way of living is a given.
You can even share this article with a friend or family member who may be considering a home renovation project. Then, they can make the right decision and invest in these eco-friendly products.
We can save our planet and resources for future generations in this way. A prosperous and sustainable future lies in the choices we make, so let’s make the right one starting today!